Tuesday 27 November 2012

Life in Deep Cove

Deep Cove
Deep Cove Park
Well, I've been here nearly two weeks now and am so far enjoying living in the mountains. Or at least it feels like that anyway. It's very quiet, very hilly, and very beautiful. I am house sitting for friends who head down south every winter and need someone to stay in their beautiful house overlooking the Cove. Hmmm. It wasn't a really hard decision to make. I'm closer to my kids, though James lives in Aldergrove, about an hour away, and Sarah, Rob and Robbie live in East Vancouver, about 30 minutes away. Added bonus is my sister Judith and her husband Peter and my brother Jamie also live about 30 minutes away. So, this is my chance to see what it would be like to live on the coast and be able to participate in and create family gatherings.
The Deck and View
The House
Major challenges include:
• Making new friends in a place where I know nobody.
• Driving in the big city.
• Getting lost.
• Dealing with torrential downpours that last all day.
• Convincing people to make the drive out here.

George and I manage two good walks every day and are discovering some great paths and trails. Our favourite one is Quarry Rock, about an hour and a half there and back. It's challenging - steep in both directions with a bit of flat but all in the forest. The view in the end is lovely and worth it. Not so fun in the rain, but we try and pick drier days to do it.

The squatters

Deep Cove itself reminds me a little of Nelson, only smaller. The village is quaint and overlooks the cove with a lovely park along the shore. The marina with the majestic sailboats, waiting for the perfect opportunity to venture out. People are friendly here as well. I've met dogwalkers, store owners, and random people just smiling and sometimes saying a friendly hello. All in all, I think it will work out just fine and despite my slight lonliness at the moment, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet and know that come May, I'll probably have made a friend or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment