Monday 10 October 2011

Time

Time seems to stand still here on the Camino. Another really hard day today (you´d think this would get easier) as I have very low energy with my tummy bug. Cannot eat anything but have been drinking tea and lots of water. It´s the best I can do. I was hoping that by now it would have resolved so may have to go to the doctor. With only two more days of walking, I feel like just putting up with it. It was a beautiful walk today though, with rolling hills and then, of course, a good 2km steep hill at the very end. I´ve got some choice words for Brierly when I am finished with this! The first 20km are enjoyable and no problem and always the last 5km are so hard. Everything aches from the hip down, and I just want to stop. It is at this point when I am more aware of my thoughts and try to distract myself with thinking about, praying for, people I love and miss. Eventually, when I am sure I can´t take one more step, I get to my destination and make a decision about where I am to stay. After a shower, a drink, and a rest, all the pain is forgotten.
I was walking for a bit today with a guy named Peter from Australia. He had an interesting thought: he thinks that westerners are so active that they simply can´t be still and quiet to meditate. The Camino is a thing of physical endurance but every single step is like a meditation. You will never take that one step again, and the next one gets you closer to your destination. I could relate to this.
I need to start thinking about what I am going to do when I get to Santiago. I thought about walking to Finisterra, but will see how I´m feeling. I have many friends waiting for me or arriving the same day and we will have a great celebration. There is a festival on the 12th, the day I will arrive, but I will go to Mass on the 13th and then make plans for Finisterra. I may go to Barcelona for a few days after that and then back to Liverpool to make plans for the next step of my journey. Lately, I´ve been thinking a lot about India.......
I hope these blogs are somewhat interesting to you..I seem to be focussing a lot on my physical condition, mostly because it is impossible to describe the profound beauty of what surrounds me each day. I have taken loads of photos, many of ancient buildings, churches, and bridges. The history is so interesting and I love reading about the places I´ve been. After all this time though, it´s all melding together and I´m having trouble remembering which place I´d been and what happened there.
I know that I am walking when you all are sleeping, but please remember to think of me and send me good wishes on ¨The Way¨.

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful to know of the heartfelt steps you take as if we are priviledged to be walking with you! It's almost your birthday and I, for one will celebrate you new life...'which may only resemble the old in outer appearance but you will know now new paths .. The yellow arrows are the directions of your heart!!
    Happy Birthday!!! Esta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn
    I have just figured out how to send a comment! Read your entries all at once from the start. What an amazing journey. Now with just days to go to your birthday and your goal I want to add my best wishes, hugs and love.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's catching, I've also figured out how to leave a comment. Anyway, its great following your progress, hope you have a great birthday, you'll defiantly have one to remember!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder if you are walking while Immmm sleeping... i love you so much and send my love to you and those feet! xx chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenn. Really enjoying your story! It'll definitely be something that will shape your future. Don't think about it just go with the wind and your feeling. Sounds like something for my "bucket list" Take care, Phil

    ReplyDelete